Omate X

Omate X: nuovo smartwatch che cercherà di non bissare l’insuccesso di TrueSmart (foto)

Nicola Ligas -

Vi ricorderete probabilmente di Omate TrueSmart, uno smartwatch che ottenne un successo clamoroso su Kickstarter che ha promesso molto, mantenendo poco, ragione per cui ci accostiamo con un certo scetticismo al nuovo Omate X, che sembra comunque voler prendere da subito le distanze dal precedente modello.

LEGGI ANCHE: TrueSmart non sarà poi tanto “smart”

Se infatti TrueSmart voleva essere una sorta di smartphone da polso, Omate X non sarà indipendente dal nostro telefono, ma per questo sarà anche più longevo: si parla infatti di ben una settimana di autonomia, grazie alla batteria da 400 mAh e all’impiego del MediaTek Aster MT2502, “il più piccolo SoC attualmente sul mercato”.

La connessione allo smartphone avverrà ovviamente tramite Bluetooth Smart, e non farà preferenze tra Android e iOS, permettendoci di ricevere al volo sul nostro polso tutte le notifiche più importanti. Presenti il microfono e anche uno speaker, per una migliore interazione con lo smartwatch.

Il corpo in metallo da 11 mm è collegato ad un cinturino che potrete cambiare a piacimento con qualsiasi cinturino standard da 22 mm, anche se quello fornito in dotazione è piuttosto elegante e realizzato in pelle.

Omate X sarà in pre-ordine sul sito ufficiale per tutto il mese di settembre al prezzo di 129$, una cifra in fondo inferiore alla concorrenza, ma considerando che anche le sue capacità sembrano limitate rispetto all’arrembante Android Wear, non ci stupisce più di tanto.

Omate® announces new generation of MediaTek Aster-based companion smartwatch

20 August 2014, Paris – Omate® Announces the Omate X Companion Smartwatch

A year after the successful launch of the Kickstarter campaign of the TrueSmart, a first-of-a-kind standalone smartwatch 2.0, Omate is now entering the companion smartwatch segment with its newest product – the Omate X.

The Omate X is able to connect both Android and iOS smartphones and push notifications such as incoming calls, social media updates, messages, reminders, and more to your wrist.

“When we think of a smartwatch, we tend to picture an expensive tech-gadget or a cheap fitness-accessory.
Every single smartwatch in the market asks the user to compromise – be that on battery life, functionality or style.

The TrueSmart was designed for the 10% of your time during of which you partake in outdoor activities. Now, the Omate X will take care of the other 90%.
It will allow you to enjoy all the perks of a companion smartwatch without having to sacrifice your style. More than a smartwatch, the Omate X is a fashion statement.” says Laurent Le Pen, CEO at Omate.

The minimalistic design of its 11mm slim metal housing is a testament to simplicity and user can customize it with any standard 22mm size straps.

The Omate X sports a MediaTek [TSE:2454] Aster – MT2502 – the smallest wearable System on Chip (5.4×6.2×1.0mm) currently on the market. It is powered by an ARM [NASDAQ:ARMH] ARM7EJ-STM RISC processor and supports Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE).

A week on the wrist

Powerful enough to last up to 7 days in standby mode, the Omate X also runs LinkItTM the development platform for Wearables by MediaTek Labs. It supports over-the-air (OTA) updates for apps, algorithms and drivers which enable “push and install” software stack from smartphones to the Omate X.

The Omate X is the first smartwatch that successfully unites functionality, simplicity and affordability in an aesthetic way and will be available for pre-order at $129 USD from September 1st to September 30th at www.omate.com including a first batch of “Early Bird / Limited Edition” engraved from N° 0001 to 1000.

iOS